17 Questions is a feature series where we introduce different women polo players around the world. In this feature, we talked to American polo player Heather Souto. Spearheading Farmington Polo Club, this 4-goaler spends her days dedicated to this wonderful world of horses, speed, and adrenaline.
1. Since when are you interested in horses?
“My whole life, I grew up on a farm.”
2. How did you get into polo?
“I didn’t have a horse to show one summer, and my mom signed me up for a public program at UCONN.”
3. Who is your first coach?
4. Who are your heroes on the field?
“I have a lot of admiration for players who can handle the pressure and perform with true sportsmanship.”
5. What’s the best training tip you’ve ever received?
“I am still receiving lots of great advice!”
6. How do you bond with your horse?
“Treats each morning and they all have their special nicknames and voices. “
7. Best horse care tip?
“Trust your gut – you know when something isn’t right.”
8. Who is your polo bestfriend?
“Abby Mackenzie. She’s like my little sister. It’s been nice watching her start off grooming for me, then working for the club, and now following her own polo dreams.”
9. Which position do you love playing the most in and why?
“I wouldn’t say I love it, but #2. I don’t have a big hit, so I think it has always limited me.”
10. What is more important in a team: trust or communication? Why?
“Communication. It keeps the flow going and I like being able to lift someone out of a bad spot or vice versa.”
11. What’s your ultimate must-have when playing?
12. Would you rather play mixed or women’s polo? Why?
“Either, it’s the teammates that make the experience.”
13. For you, what makes polo the best sport?
“The intensity and the horses. It’s the small piece of my day that I can turn my brain off from work and enjoy my horses.”
14. What’s your best win throughout your career?
“I have never won a big tournament. For me, it’s my partner Alfredo. He is a true horseman, and he has raised my horse string to the next level all while instilling a subtle confidence in my game that has me at my best.”
15. What’s the worst polo misconception you’ve ever heard of?
“I don’t think I have ever heard of one?”
16. If you could live the life of one polo player for a day, who would it be and why?
“Sapo Caset. He is quick and focused.”
17. Complete the sentence: “I am a ____ polo player.”
Photo credits to Snoopy Polo